Health BENEFITS of Vitamin C:
- works as an antioxidant fighting damaging free radicals
- assists the body in making collagen protein
- helps strengthen the immune system
- helps support natural killer cells
- promotes the growth of bone, skin, gums, and teeth
- helps reduce chronic inflammation
- assists in speeding up wound healing
- supports a healthy cardiovascular system
- helps reduce levels of the inflammatory marker C-reactive protein
- aids in inhibiting tumor growth and fights cancer cells
- helps lower LDL cholesterol and triglycerides
- reduces the negative effects of sun exposure
- helps the body absorb non-heme iron
- supports a healthy nervous system and adrenal glands
- aids in fighting cancer cells and inhibits tumor cell growth
- helps maintain the body's supply of other antioxidants
Foods HIGH in Vitamin C:
Things to KNOW About Vitamin C:
Vitamin C is water soluble, meaning it dissolves easily in water. Any excess vitamin C is released through the urine. Since vitamin C isn't stored in the body, you must consume vitamin C daily for good health.
Vitamin C can be easily destroyed by heat, so when eating foods rich in vitamin C, either eat them raw or slightly cooked by steaming or quick sautéing.
When consuming foods high in non-heme iron (plant sources), it's best to consume foods rich in vitamin C along with them for increased iron absorption.
Vitamin C is easily diminished in people who smoke cigarettes, so smokers need higher amounts of vitamin C in their daily diets.