Health BENEFITS of Potassium:
- works with sodium to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance
- monitors the electrical activity of the heart
- helps trigger the heart to send blood throughout the body
- required for proper nerve conduction and muscle contraction
- aids in lowering blood pressure by blunting sodium's effects
- helps move nutrients in and waste products out of cells
- supports bone health and may prevent osteoporosis
- helps maintain proper blood PH levels
Foods HIGH in Potassium:
Things to KNOW About Potassium:
Potassium, along with the other five essential minerals (calcium, chloride, magnesium, phosphorus, and sodium), are also classified as electrolytes, chemicals that conduct electricity when mixed with water. The electricity generated by electrolytes aids in communication between the cells and in many bodily functions.
Electrolytes are responsible for maintaining water balance in the body by monitoring fluids inside the cells (intracellular) and outside the cells (extracellular). Maintaining fluid balance between these two environments is critically important for hydration, nutrient absorption, heart function, nerve impulses, muscle contractions, blood pressure, brain function, blood pH levels, and detoxification.
Staying hydrated and eating foods high in essential minerals will ensure that you maintain a healthy electrolyte balance. An electrolyte imbalance can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including dehydration, fatigue, muscle cramps, weakness, thirst, nausea, confusion, irregular heartbeat, or stomach pain. Consequently, it's important to replenish the electrolytes lost through extensive exercise or heavy sweating.
Potassium works with sodium to maintain fluid balance inside and outside of cells enabling communication between nerves and muscles. Potassium is regulated by the kidneys, which keep blood levels steady, even when intake is varied.
Roughly 98% of the potassium in your body is found in your cells. Of that, 80% is found in your muscle cells, while the remaining 20% can be found in your bones, liver, and red blood cells.
The body requires more potassium than sodium, so a diet higher in potassium and lower in sodium helps maintain a healthy fluid balance and a lower blood pressure. Whole foods from the earth are naturally higher in sodium and lower in potassium, which can help you maintain this healthy balance.