Health BENEFITS of Omega-9 Fats:
- help lower the risk of heart disease
- assist in improving insulin sensitivity
- help reduce chronic inflammation
- aid in reducing cancer risk
- help balance blood cholesterol levels
- enhance cognitive function and improve mood
- protect the body from free-radical damage
Foods HIGH in Omega-9 Fats:
- olive oil
Things to KNOW About Omega-9 Fats:
Omega-9 fatty acids are considered non-essential fats because they can be produced by the body. Oleic acid is the most common type of omega-9 fatty acid in the diet. Oleic acid is a monounsaturated fat found in foods such as avocados, olives, and olive oil. Monounsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature and become solid when chilled.
Monounsaturated fats are central to the Mediterranean diet. Various studies have shown that monounsaturated fats can lower the risk of heart disease, improve insulin sensitivity, balance cholesterol levels, and reduce caner risk.
Avocados, olives, and olive oil also contain phytonutrients called polyphenols which act as antioxidants, protecting the body from free-radical damage and inflammation. Consuming foods high in monounsaturated fats in the proper amounts is central to a healthy diet.