Health BENEFITS of Iodine:
- essential for the production of thyroid hormones
- helps regulate metabolic rate
- important for regulating body temperature
- promotes healthy brain function
- important for reproduction and fetal development
- aids in boosting the immune system
- helps maintain healthy skin, hair, and teeth
Foods HIGH in Iodine:
Things to KNOW About Iodine:
Iodine is a trace mineral found mostly in seafood. Seafood is rich in iodine because marine animals easily concentrate iodine from seawater.
Iodine helps support the thyroid gland. The thyroid plays a critical role in metabolism, growth, and development. It also helps regulate many bodily functions by constantly releasing a steady amount of thyroid hormones into the bloodstream.
An iodine imbalance can lead to an over-active thyroid (hyperthyroid) or under-active thyroid (hypothyroid). Around 70% to 80% of iodine in the body is found in the thyroid gland inside the neck. The rest is found in the blood, muscles, ovaries, and other parts of the body.