Health BENEFITS of Choline:
- helps the body metabolize fat and cholesterol
- aids in reducing fatty liver disease
- essential for optimal brain development
- helps make important neurotransmitters
- promotes good brain function and mental health
- assists in regulating stable moods
- helps promote a healthy nervous system
- important for methylation, required for every bodily function
- helps regulate blood levels of homocysteine
Foods HIGH in Choline:
Things to KNOW About Choline:
Choline is an organic water-soluble compound that's normally grouped with the B vitamins because of its similar properties and functions. Choline is a structural component of all cell membranes in the body. The majority of choline is found in specialized fat molecules that make up the cell membranes called phospholipids.
Although small amounts of choline can be made by the liver, it's not enough to support good health, so the majority of this vitamin must be consumed in the diet.
Choline works with vitamin B9 (Folate) during pregnancy for proper growth and fetal development.
Since choline helps metabolize fat and cholesterol, a deficiency can cause an abnormal amount of fat deposits in the liver, which can result in a condition called non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).