Health BENEFITS of Calcium:
- helps build strong bones and teeth
- essential for proper nerve functioning
- aids in muscle contraction and relaxation
- assists with proper blood clotting
- supports healthy blood pressure
- helps maintain proper blood pH levels
- supports proper hydration
- helps prevent osteoporosis
Foods HIGH in Calcium:
- beet greens
- bok choy
- chia seeds
- cheddar cheese
- collard greens
- dairy products
- poppy seeds
- sea vegetables
- sesame seeds
Things to KNOW About Calcium:
Calcium, along with the other five essential minerals (chloride, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and sodium), are also classified as electrolytes, chemicals that conduct electricity when mixed with water. The electricity generated by electrolytes helps with the communication between the cells and supports many bodily functions.
Electrolytes are responsible for maintaining water balance in the body by monitoring the balance of fluids inside the cells (intracellular) and outside the cells (extracellular). Maintaining fluid balance between these two environments is critically important for hydration, nutrient absorption, heart function, nerve impulses, muscle contractions, blood pressure, brain function, blood pH levels, and detoxification.
Staying hydrated and eating foods high in essential minerals will ensure that you maintain a healthy electrolyte balance. An electrolyte imbalance can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including dehydration, fatigue, muscle cramps, weakness, thirst, nausea, confusion, irregular heartbeat, or stomach pains. Consequently, it's important to replenish the electrolytes lost through extensive exercise or heavy sweating.
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body. In healthy individuals, more than 99% of total body calcium is stored in bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is found throughout the body in blood, muscles, and bodily fluids.
In order for your body to use calcium efficiently, it's important to get enough vitamin K in your diet. Vitamin K ensures that dietary calcium is being transported to your bones where it belongs rather than to your blood vessels and soft tissues where it can calcify (create plaque) and cause a heart attack or stroke.